We've moved digital! We are proud to partner with BookNook, an online literacy platform where Youth Mentors and their Buddies engage in literacy activities digitally.
We are looking for volunteers aged 12-17 years who are able to spend 1.5 hours twice a week with a K-3rd grade student on literacy activities via video conferencing. Each session schedule includes:
- 15 minute pre-meeting/training
- 1 hour small group and one-on-one literacy activities
- 15 minute debrief discussion
- Be a current 6th-11th grader (entering 7th-12th grade Fall 2020)
- Attend two trainings before you begin volunteering (see information below)
- Volunteer every Tuesday/Thursday OR every Wednesday/Friday for at least three consecutive weeks
- Commit to the same timeframe each day you volunteer (For example, every Tuesday/Thursday from 8:45am-10:15am for the first three weeks)
Important: When choosing your shifts, please be consistent. We will be serving the same students every Tuesday/Thursday in the same timeslot and every Wednesday/Friday in the same timeslot. Please make sure you select the same timeslot on either Tuesday/Thursday or Wednesday/Friday so you can work with the same Buddy as much as possible.
In previous years, we have been able to be flexible in the days and times you can volunteer. However, we must ask for a more consistent commitment because the online platforms tend to make relationship-building more challenging than in-person interactions and we would like Buddies to have more stability during this time. Although our minimum commitment is still three weeks, we highly encourage more if possible.
- Dates: June 22 - August 7
- Schedule is every Tuesday-Friday at:
All volunteers MUST attend two online trainings before they volunteer. The required trainings are:
- Building Strong Relationships with Your Buddies (1.5 hours) - This 1.5 hour training outlines techniques on how to engage with your Buddy online. We also outline online measures that are important for all of us to engage online safely.
- BookNook Platform Training (1 hour) - This training goes over the BookNook platform we are using to engage Buddies in literacy development.
For those who are applying to be Lead Mentors, you will need to attend an additional Lead Mentor training.
*Note before signing up: Due to the additional component of online and video interaction, please note that we will be recording all live interactions for the safety and protection of all parties (and internal use only). Our parental permission form will go into additional details, but we cannot accept Youth Mentors who are not able to be recorded at this time. Thank you for your understanding!